Sunday, September 11, 2011

Marlin Model 60 - Adding Sling Swivels

Marlin Model 60
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/selfloading/60.asp

Earlier this year, I purchased a Marlin Model 60 semi-automatic .22 caliber rifle from Walmart for around $125.  I figured it would be a nice inexpensive option for plinking and maybe even for squirrel hunting.  Well, my father-in-law invited me to go squirrel hunting with him this fall.  Of course I said I would go, but that is when I pulled it out, I realized it did not have swivels installed for a sling...bummer...I was a little disappointed at first, but then realized it was project time.  Time to install some swivels...

Uncle Mike's Model 1341-2

The first thought in my head was Uncle Mike's.  Uncle Mike seems to always come through when you need firearm accessories.  I was able to find Uncle Mike's Quick Detachable Super Swivels model 1341-2 that fits most tube magazine .22 rifles and carbines.  Fort Thompsons Sporting Goods in Little Rock, AR had this swivel kit for a good price so I purchased it there for under $20. I was now only a few small steps away...the instructions that comes with swivels are almost sufficient.  Here is one helpful piece of information. To install the forearm swivel, you need to remove the pin that secures the barrel bands.  I had to purchase a Craftsmen 1/16 pin punch from Sears that allowed me to tap out the pin (and reenter the pin).  I am sure any other small pin punch will work.  Other than that, I didn't have any problems with the install.  Here is the finished product complete with The Claw Contour Sling that has a nice non-slip shoulder pad.




Now it is Time to Hunt...

No comments:

Post a Comment